Monday, March 26, 2012

Pre-term Labor

Last week, I was confined at a hospital because I was diagnosed of having preterm labor. Based on what I've read, preterm labor happens when a pregnant woman experiences labor-like symptoms before 37 weeks of pregnancy. I've experienced spotting in the last two weeks, on my 24th and 25th week of pregnancy, and this spotting is one of the signs of preterm labor. I have been seeing my doctor more than once a week when I had spotting. When my doctor recommended that I have ultrasound, the results showed that I have experienced funneling, or opening of the cervix from the inside. So she recommended that I be given medications to help lessen or stop contractions, but have to be confined at a hospital so the doctors can monitor my body's reaction to the medication. It was scary that it happened. Thankfully, the medication helped stop bleeding, and that my baby is fine, still moving a lot inside my tummy.

No comments: